To make yogurt in a crock pot or slow cooker is relatively easy and almost hands off in that you can leave it and get other things done before having to complete another step. This is something that I make quite often to save money on yogurt and to ensure that there is always some natural yogurt sugar free on hand at home for the fam.
Homemade Yogurt: Slow Cooker Method
What you need:
- Slow Cooker (any size will do)
- 4 Cups of Milk (whole milk is best)
- 1-2 Heaping Tablespoons of store bought yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon of whole milk powder (for extra thickness, more similar to greek yogurt)
- Measuring Cup
How to make it:
- In your slow cooker, add 4 cups of whole milk and 1 TBSP of whole milk powder. Whisk it well
- Insert the thermometer. Turn the slow cooker on high
- Let the milk heat until it reaches 180 degrees F
- Uncover the slow cooker and turn it OFF. Let the milk cool to 120-110 degrees F (no less than 110). This might take around a half hour.
- Add the 1-2 TBSP of store bought yogurt and whisk it well
- Cover your slow cooker with heavy towels and leave it overnight or for at least 6 hours
- The yogurt is done when it becomes thickened and you can scoop it out. It will be the consistency of regular store bought yogurt
Note: Every slow cooker is different so the time it takes to reach 180 degrees will vary. The store bought yogurt can be plain or flavoured, it doesn’t matter. Your yogurt will turn out thicker if you use store bought yogurt with the highest milk fat content you can find. It will be very thin if you use 0%.
And there you have it! A simple and easy way to make delicious yogurt. Now you can flavour it up with any extras: honey, berries, jam, granola or use it in smoothies. Happy yogurt making!